Sunday, September 15, 2013

Fourth of July

This Fourth of July was not my favorite. First off, I was all alone. Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays. I was pretty sad to spend it alone.

I woke up and decided to make the best of the day. I decided to go for a long run, take Helo for a walk, go to the pool, make an apple pie, and have a BBQ by myself.

It all started out pretty positive. I went for a four mile run, which was further than I thought I could go. But then I started getting hard on myself because last year I had run a 10k and I really wanted to run 6 miles that day. After beating myself up on the way home, I decided to get back to my positive attitude and take Helo for a nice, long walk.

Well, Helo is not the most obedient little puppy when he is on his leash. I tried really hard to not get frustrated, but my temper got the best of me. He kept sitting down and whining, and I kept pulling on his leash. We came to a stretch of sidewalk that had a broken beer bottle on it. I tried to get Helo to keep walking, but he sat down and started whining. I was so sick of it, so I gave him a jerk and we kept walking.

He continued to whine while we walked, which was unusual. I final looked down at him. To my horror, there was a trail of bloody paw prints behind us. I looked at his paw and it was gushing blood.

I was about half a mile away from our house. I picked up all 25 lbs of him and ran the whole way home. We were both crying the entire way. 

When we got home, I put him in the sink to tried to wash it off. It kept bleeding. I then made the decision to take him to the ER (our vet was obviously closed for the holiday). 

Of course my mind went to the worse places. I thought he would need stitches, surgery, or we would even have to put him down. I was such a mess. The vet took him to the back and I called Steve to try to calm down. I was able to take some deep breathes, and finally calm down.

The vet came in and told me he had just cut his paw. No stitches were necessary. They were going to put a bandage and a cone on him. They brought him back and he was totally drugged out. Poor little guy.
After that, my day was shot. I still made my pie to drown my sorrows. We spent the rest of the day on the couch and watched TV.

Not my favorite Fourth of July.

Steve, on the other hand, had a great Fourth! He went to a Hale Family reunion, and really enjoyed seeing everyone. Wish Helo and I could have been there!

No comments:

Post a Comment