Sunday, December 4, 2011

Nashville, TN

My sister in law and her two kids flew into Nashville the Monday before Thanksgiving. Since I am the unemployed, childless member of the family I was lucky enough to go pick them up.

I woke up Monday morning and it was POURING. For those of you who have never experienced southern rain... it is a whole different experience from western rain. Your wipers can't go fast enough. And people are already crazy drives and the rain does not help! I made it about thirty miles till I had to pull over and practice my yoga breathing to try to calm myself down. After a couple of deep breathes I got back on the rain. I made it about another thirty miles before pulling over again. I called Steve so that he would calm me down (which he is always able to) and ate some lunch.
After I was done eating I got back on the road. Thankfully the rain stopped! The rest of the drive was very beautiful and pleasant.

I posted on my facebook that I was going to Nashville and my Uncle Randy told me to stop in a little town called Gallatin where my 5th great grandparents are buried. I figured this could be a once in a life time experience and I should go the thirty miles out of my way to visit their graves. I am so glad I did! It was an amazing experience. It was incredible to look around the area and see what my ancestors saw. It was great.

Sarah Bell's grave
William Bell's grave. It was so old I couldn't read any of the writing on it.
My mother in law told me that I needed to go to Andrew Jackson's home. It was so beautiful and very educational. Im not really sure how I feel about Andrew Jackson, but he had a beautiful home!
This is the original pathway people would take to the mansion.
The back of the mansion
The side of the mansion
The pillars are the original pillars, made of wood.
I wanted proof that I had been there, so I was a loser and took pictures of myself.
This is the pathway to where Jackson and his wife are buried. They are buried in the garden.
The garden. I hope I can go sometime when the flowers are in bloom.
In the back is the graveyard. Kind of spooky. I was the only one there!
Jackson and his wife were the first to be buried there. Then they started burying other family members.
Tree headstone! Cool.
Tiny headstone!
This is where Jackson and his wife are buried. His wife died right before he became president. He was madly in love with her and would go visit her grave every single night.
One of the many slave cabins
After I went to the mansion I decided to drive into the city. My father in law told me I needed to go see the Ryman Auditorium. I drove into the city right when it was getting dark. It took me twenty minutes to find a parking spot. I was a little nervous walking around by myself so I didn't stay long, but what I did see I loved!
Awesome building downtown
I am such a city girl. Something about being around tall building and lots of people just makes me so happy.
Ryman Auditorium. I wish I could have gone for a tour. It is a beautiful building.
I really wish I could have spent more time downtown, but at least I got my thirty minutes! After that I went to the airport to get Sarah and the kiddies. We stopped and got dinner and then made the drive back home. Luckily it wasn't raining, but there was very heavy fog. I was definitely ready to be out of the car by the time we got back to Harrogate.

I had such a fun day. I absolutely love living in a new part of the country. It is fun going on little adventures like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment