Friday, September 9, 2011

Our "Honeymoon" Part 2

After our night in Denver we began our long day. I mean LOOONG day. We drove for about thirteen hours. Way too long.

The minute we got out of Denver was when the Honeymoon ended. It was so ugly, flat, and boring. After about three hours straight of the same boring scenery I decided I was no longer considering this my Honeymoon.

We stopped for lunch in Kansas and ate at a burger place called Freddys. Not too shabby. And they had frozen custard so that was a special treat.
After lunch it was finally my turn to drive. I was really looking forward to actually doing something since all I had done was sit and look out the window and listen to our book on tape. I pulled onto the freeway and it was SO windy. I drove for about five minutes and then had to pull over. I felt like the car was going to blow off the road so I let Steve drive... for the rest of the way. Till we got to TN. Being a passenger the whole way across the country is super boring.

The entire day all we did was listen to our stupid book on tape. I was hating it by this point. It allowed me way too much time to sit and think about how much I was going to miss everyone and I ended up getting super homesick.

We finally checked into our hotel right outside of St Louis at 11 30. Such a long, boring day.

The next day we drove into St Louis. It was actually really fun and really nice to do some site seeing.

We of course stopped to see The Gateway Arch.
It was a beautiful, hot, humid day. We walked around outside for a little bit and then we went to the underground museum to take our journey to the top!
Steve waiting for our ride to the top.
I was already a little nervous to go to the top. I am pretty scared of heights. Little did I know that actually getting to top was going to be the worse part! I dont know what I was expecting, but the way you get to the top is by sitting in this tiny little pod with four other people, practically sitting on each others laps.

We got into the pod and the door closed. I immediately started having a panic attack. It was horrible! I am really, really claustrophobic. And there I was, stuffed in this tiny pod, rattling my way to the top.

We got out and I was already feeling nauseous and then we walk to the little landing area where you can look out the windows. I felt so dizzy the entire time. Steve was loving it, but he is a kind husband and knew how much I was hating it so he didn't make us stay for long.
My hair was not loving the humidity
The views were definitely amazing.
I really loved St. Louis. It is a beautiful city.
In the stupid pod on our way back down.
After our journey to the top, we went back outside and enjoyed walking around the area.
In front of the Mississippi River. I am still amazed by how huge the rivers out East are. No wonder the ones our West are considered streams to some people.
We then went to get some real St Louis BBQ. We called Steve's dad and he found a great place called Pappy's! It was so extremely delicious. If you are ever in St Louis you should go!
This is us about half way through the line. It sure was busy! But totally worth the wait.
After lunch we made our way out of St Louis. Like I said, it is a beautiful city. I really loved it there. I definitely prefer the city life.
Leaving St Louis
Now we were on our way to TN! The drive was much more scenic. I was absolutely amazed by all the trees. We stopped in Lexington for dinner and made it to Harrogate around mid night. We stayed at Steve's dads house. It was so nice to sleep in a house rather than a hotel.

The next morning I woke up and looked out the window. Oh my goodness!! It is SO beautiful here! I immediately fell in love. For like two weeks straight, whenever we drove anywhere I would sit looking out the window and comment on all the green! I love it.

We were lucky enough to move into our home the very next day. I will talk about that in a future post.

I am really hope that by the time we move back out West that we will have a little baby so I can just fly and Steve can drive. I never want to make that drive again! We are hoping we can go on a Honeymoon next year... because driving across the country aint no honeymoon!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures. I'm glad you are able to fly for Christmas. It sounds like a long trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve and I took a trip to L.A. a couple summers ago where I drove most of the trip. As is Jones boy custom, I pushed the speed limit most of the way. So after I drove all the way down, the whole time down there, and about an hour on the return trip, I asked Steve to drive so I could rest. Within just one mile, Steve was pulled over and cited for speeding. Sometimes you're just not meant to have driven during a road trip.

    ReplyDelete