Wednesday, June 1, 2011

June 27th 2011

Steve and I are getting married on June 27th, 2011.... that's right... in four weeks.

Now let me explain our decision to have a four week engagement.

As previously mentioned, Steve has been accepted to medical school in Tennessee. His classes start the end of July so we want to move out there a few weeks before he starts school so we can get settled in.

When Steve and I first began discussing marriage we were thinking of getting married next summer. This was our plan and then one day Steve suggested we get married before we moved to Tennessee. I thought he was crazy...and joking. Turns out he was serious and after talking to family and friends I began to see his point of view on the benefits of being married vs. living together.

After talking about it for about a week I had a conversation with my future sister in law Holly. Her husband (Steve's brother Rick) is in medical school and just finished his first two years. Holly and I talked for awhile about the obvious benefits of marriage (financial and security) but I still wasn't sold on the whole idea. Than I expressed that I felt like being his wife would make his busy school and study schedule somewhat easier because we have already made the commitment of marriage. Holly than informed me that I will go weeks without seeing Steve and she told me that she truly believes that being married would make the unbearable situation somewhat bearable. After our conversation I was sold and felt like getting married before we move to Tennessee is the right thing to do.

The one downfall of throwing a wedding together within a month is the fact that I cant have my dream wedding. So Steve and I have decided to have a very small, very private ceremony this June and then next June we will renew our vows and have a big celebration with hopefully ALL our friends and family.

One of the hardest parts of planning this wedding so fast is that not everyone can make it. My sister Dianna left for Africa a month ago and it breaks my heart that she wont be at my wedding. We will also miss Steve's brother Rick and his wife Holly who are moving the week we are getting married and unable to come on such short notice.

Another hard part of this discussion is not being about to invite everyone I want to. I have so many close, amazing friends. But due to a tight budget and wanting to keep our wedding very small and simple, we are unable to invite everyone. I just want all my friends to know that even though I cant have you there on my wedding day, I will be thinking and missing each and every one of you. I honestly have the most amazing friends a girl could have. I appreciate you all for putting up with me and my insecurities and standing by me no matter what.

Even though this isn't exactly what I had planned I am still so happy. I told Steve I want a marriage, not a wedding and I really do feel that way. I am so excited to make this life long commitment with him and I cannot express my appreciation for everyone helping us pull this together on such short notice. I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. STEPH!!!! I rarely get on FB anymore, but I'm so glad I checked today! I am soooo happy for you! You will love married life. You are so ready for it. I am so glad that he is such a great guy, and that you will have someone to lean on and someone to take care of you. I think about our happy times back in the strawberry slushy days, and it makes me glad that you will have many happy memories like that with your new husband. I know it is sucky that you won't have the wedding you want right now. But you're exactly right about wanting a marriage and not a wedding. And it will be so cool to renew your vows next year. Hopefully by then I will have moved back to Utah and can come!! Unless you have it in Tennessee? Anyway, I'm so excited for you. Love you lots.

    ReplyDelete