Saturday, August 18, 2012

New York, New York 2012

We left DC on Sunday and headed to New York City. We got to our hotel in Newark in the afternoon. We decided we might as well go into the city for dinner and walk around a little. We had a big adventure trying to get into the city. The train and bus system was not as easy to catch on to as DC.

Once we finally got into the city, this is the first thing we saw getting off the subway.
 We decided to go to a restaurant in Madison Square Park.
 The Shake Shack in Madison Square Park
 Super yummy!
 Then we walked over to Time Square.
 Apparently the train station was underneath Madison Square Garden!
 The next day we woke up to dark rain clouds. We had tickets to the 9-11 Memorial for the morning. We took the train into the city and when we stepped outside it was pouring rain. Luckily someone was selling umbrellas for $5!

We walked over to the memorial in the miserable rain. Our pants were soaked and it was freezing. We did not pack for freezing weather. I figured New York would be hot in June! Apparently I was wrong.

We finally got to the memorial. It was a very somber experience. I was very impressed with the memorial. They have two, large reflecting pools and waterfalls that are an acre each. They are located in the original footprints of the twin towers. Along the edges of the pools are names of everyone who was killed during the attacks.
 This building is one of the new World Trade Center buildings.
 This is the survivor tree. It is the only tree that survived the attacks.
 Names on the memorial.
First Response names.
 After the memorial, we went to a shop that had some memorial memorabilia.
 This is a motorcycle that one of the guys on American Chopper made.
 Twisted steel from the trade center.
 
 This wall is across the street from the memorial.
 First Response Fire Station.
 After the memorial, we took the Subway to Brooklyn so that we could walk across the Brooklyn Bridge.
 Start of the bridge.
 Manhattan in the back round.
View of Brooklyn.
 Statue of Liberty from the Brooklyn Bridge.
 Empire State Building
 Welcome to Manhattan!
 Awesome building right off the bridge.
After the bridge, we got on the Subway to go to Battery Park to see the Statue of Liberty. While we were on the Subway, I noticed that it made a stop at Wall Street. I suggested we make a stop. Steve got his Bachelors in Finance, so he of course learned a lot about Wall Street.

Mr. Finance on Wall Street.
 Outside the New York Stock Exchange. That is one serious building! You can't walk up to the doors, and there are guards everywhere.
 Wall Street!
 Trump Building on Wall Street.
 As we were walking down Wall Street, I saw Tiffanys! I was so excited!
 Steve convinced me to go inside. I assured him that I looked too homeless. Luckily, they didn't kick us out! I think most people in there were tourists anyways.
 Inside Tiffanys, so beautiful!
 After Wall Street, we walked over to Battery Park to look at the Statue of Liberty. We didn't have time to go out on the ferry to see it. It was cool just to see it from the shore.
 Steve and the Statue of Liberty.
 Ellis Island. We didn't have enough time to go there either.
            After Battery Park, we took the Subway over to Greenwich Village. Right when we got off the Subway, we saw this guy. I had no idea who he was, but Steve was very excited. He plays Sherlock on the BBC television show. 
 
One of the reasons I wanted to go to Greenwich Village was to see the Friends building. Friends is, hands down, my favorite comedy ever! Although the show was filmed in LA, they used this building as the outside shot of their apartment building. It was so cool to see it in real life!
 Greenwich Village is so adorable. I loved all the houses there. These are right by the Friends building.
 I would love to live here someday! Not going to happen, but a girl can dream.
 After the village, we walked to lunch. I read on a blog that Grimaldi's has the best pizza in New York. So we decided to try it.
 It was pretty delicious. We got a white sauce which I wasn't crazy about. But it was pretty excellent pizza!
 After lunch, we went to the Empire State Building.
 Steve in the elevator, on our way to the top!
 I was so freaked out. I have always been scared of heights, but it has seem to gotten worse as I get older. The views, of course, were incredible. But I felt sick most of the time.
 86th Floor!
 Notice how I am grasping the building? That somehow made me feel safe.
 Amazing, right?!
 New Trade Tower
 Central Park
 Steve took this by pointing the camera straight down. Steve took all the pictures. I leaned against the wall the whole time! I did look down once. It was terrifying.
Steve convinced me to go to the 102nd Floor. All the movies and TV shows show the 86th floor. The 102nd floor is just a tiny room. I somehow felt saver up there!

View from  the 102nd floor.

 Central Park
 Chrysler Building
102nd floor
 New Trade tower
 After the Empire State, we walked over to 30 Rock
 30 Rock! Yet another one of our favorite shows.
 GE building
 Saks Fifth Avenue!
 St Regis Hotel
 St Regis
 Trump Tower on 5th Ave
 One of my other favorite shows is Gossip Girl. It is my guilty pleasure! One of the characters bought a ring from Harry Winston, and they have shown the outside of this building a couple of times on the show. Again, really cool to see it in real life!
 We didn't go inside. They had guards at their doors!
 Tiffany and Co on Fifth Ave
 Tiffanys
 Then we went to Central Park. This park is so amazing! It was so strange to be walking around this noisy, crazy all day, and then suddenly we were in this amazing, quite park.
 Ducks in the park.
 So beautiful!
 I loved that you could still see all the skyscrapers in certain parts of the park.
 While we were walking around the park, we walked right passed this guy! Bill Hader from Saturday Night Live! We were talking towards him for a couple of seconds, but I felt to dorky to take a picture. I was glad we saw a celebrity that we both knew!
 Central Park Boathouse. The place the girl wanted to get married on 27 Dresses! I am such a dork and loved seeing all the places I had seen in movies and on TV.
 The further you get into the park, the more you leave the city (duh!). It was incredible. I suddenly felt like we were in the mountains or something.
 Still in Central Park
 Huge Reservoir in the park
 Swinging in the park!
There are these tunnels all over the park.
 The best part of New York was meeting up with my sister, Lindsay, her husband John, and their adorable little boy, Caleb! They flew in that night and we met up for dinner. We ate at Grey Papayas. It was terrible! I ended up throwing my hot dog away.

After dinner we walked to Time Square. On our way we passed the Empire Hotel which is also on Gossip Girl. I had no idea it was a real hotel!
 We also passed the Manhattan Temple. It was strange seeing a temple in such a busy city!
 David Letterman! Lindsay and I watched his show all the time when we were younger.
 Time Square
 While we were taking pictures, Caleb was staring at something and had the biggest smile on his face. I turned around to look at what he was smiling at. It was the Hershey's Factory!
 Sisters! And Caleb
 We also went to Broadway! I really wish we could have gone to a show.
 The guy on the right is Will Swenson. Lindsay and I both worked at his grandma's theater in Orem.
 After we walked around, Lindsay had the brilliant idea of getting New York Cheesecake! We found a cute little diner near Madison Square Garden. It was delicious!
We sure got a lot done in one day in New York! I really wish we could have stayed for longer, but I got the dates mixed up with Lindsay and we wanted to go to Boston and Maine with them. Steve promises me that we will go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment